At Piton de La Fournaise, after having dropped rapidly during yesterday (02/15/2020) from 2 p.m. (local time), a residual tremor was recorded at the seismological stations closest to the eruption until 2:12 p.m. local time on 02/02/2020, without recovery.
Since then only a few sporadic puffs of gas have been recorded at seismological stations.
Piton de La Fournaise - Spectrogram showing the evolution of the seismic signal between 02/15/2020 and 02/16/2020 4:00 p.m. local time (12:00 p.m. UT) on the FLR seismological station located on the eastern flank of the volcano. (© OVPF / IPGP)
Piton de La Fournaise - PdF Sentinel-2 L1C image 16.02.2020 / 10:35 local time bands 12,11,4 - one click to enlarge
Note that a satellite acquisition on 2/16/2020 at 10:35 local time, still showed a thermal anomaly at the level of the eruptive vent.
This anomaly as well as the persistent gas flushes on the morning of 2/16/2020 indicated a weak residual subsurface activity until the final shutdown of the tremor at 2:12 p.m.
The prefecture has decided to move into the backup phase this Monday, February 17 at 10 a.m. local time.
Consequently, the ban on access to the upper part of the enclosure remains in force until further notice pending the conclusions of the reconnaissance that will be carried out in the coming days.
Sources: OVPF, Reunion prefecture and Sentinel Hub
Find all the information relating to the activity of Piton de la Fournaise on the various media of the OVPF-IPGP:
- the website (http://www.ipgp.fr/fr/ovpf/actualites-ovpf),
- the Twitter account (https://twitter.com/obsfournaise?lang=fr),
- and the facebook account (https://www.facebook.com/ObsVolcanoPitonFournaise/)
At Merapi, still in activity level 2 / waspada, Magma Indonesia provides information for February 16:
- 10 avalanche earthquakes with an amplitude of 2 to 16 mm and an earthquake duration of 4 to 27.68 seconds. The sliding distance and the direction of fall are not observed.
- 4 earthquakes at low frequency with an amplitude of 3-9 mm and an earthquake duration from 12.92 to 19.24 seconds.
- 18 hybrid earthquakes / Banyak phase with an amplitude of 2-9 mm, S-P 0.2-0.6 seconds and an earthquake duration of 4-10 seconds.
- 2 local tectonic earthquakes with an amplitude of 4 mm, S-P 4-6.5 seconds and an earthquake duration from 24 to 38.6 seconds.
- 2 distant tectonic earthquakes with an amplitude of 2-12 mm, S-P 14.5-22 seconds and an earthquake duration of 59.4-60 seconds.
Sources: Magma Indonsesia & BPPTKG
In the Reykjanes peninsula, seismic activity north of Grindavik has decreased, but is still above average. The last strong earthquake detected last week is of magnitude3.2 (11 fecal at 6:46 pm west of Þorbjörn.
Crustal deformation is still relevant, decreasing.
The explanation given by scientists for inflation and seismic activity is a magmatic intrusion located between 3 and 5 km deep west of Þorbjörn. This activity will likely stop without a rash.
The Scientific Committee for Civil Protection meets on February 20 to take stock.
Source: IMO 17.02.2020 / 02h13 GMT