An eruption occurred on Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 9:13 a.m.WIB at the Merapi, accompanied by a thick gray-brown ash plume observed at ± 6000 m above the peak, drifting south. A ground observer notes the top of the ash cloud at approximately 8,968 meters asl., Possibly higher. This eruption was recorded on a seismograph with a maximum amplitude of 75 mm and a duration of 328 seconds.
VAAC Darwin and PVMBG have decreed a red VONA; according to VAAC Darwin, the ashes spotted at flight altitude 200 should dissipate within 3 hours.
At the seismicity level, we will notice an increase in the number of volcanic earthquakes in the week before, as well as the number of hybrid earthquakes, to a lesser extent.
For the day of June 21, from 6 to 12 noon WIB, the PVMBG reports:
- 3 eruption earthquakes with an amplitude of 60 to 80 mm and an earthquake duration of 60.2 to 360.7 seconds.
- 11 blast earthquakes with an amplitude of 3-12 mm, and an earthquake duration of 11.3-53.2 seconds.
- 13 low frequency earthquakes with an amplitude of 5 to 30 mm and an earthquake duration of 11.2 to 40.3 seconds.
- 2 hybrid earthquakes with an amplitude of 3-5 mm, S-P 0.3 seconds and an earthquake duration of 5.7-6 seconds.
- 2 volcanic earthquakes with an amplitude of 8 to 45 mm, S-P 0.8 to 0.9 seconds and 7.1 to 17 seconds of long earthquake.
The activity level remains at 2 / waspada, with a danger zone of 3 km radius around the summit.
Sources: PVMBG, Magma Indonesia, BPPTKG, VAAC Darwin
The Ovsicori reports a new hydrothermal eruption in Rincon de La Vieja this June 20, 2020 at 11:54 am local; we do not know the height of the eruptive plume due to poor visibility conditions.