At Sinabung, an eruption was observed on Wednesday August 19, 2020 at 12:54 a.m. WIB accompanied by an ash plume observed at ± 2000 m above the summit (± 4460 m above sea level). The ash column was gray, with moderate to thick intensity, to the east and southeast. This eruption was recorded on a seismograph with a maximum amplitude of 30 mm and a duration of 2344 seconds.
During the day, numerous emissions of steam, gas and ash are observed.
Sinabung - steam jets, two-tone plumes of steam & gas and ash -19.08.2020 / 11:03 WIB - photo Endro Rusharyanto
Sinabung - steam jets, two-tone plumes of steam & gas and ash -19.08.2020 / 11.51 am WIB - photo Endro Rusharyanto
Another eruption occurred on Wednesday August 19, 2020 at 6:23 p.m. WIB, accompanied by an ash plume observed at ± 4000 m above the summit (± 6460 m above sea level). The ash column was gray, with thick intensity, to the east and southeast. This eruption was recorded on a seismograph with a maximum amplitude of 100 mm and a duration of 708 seconds.
The seismicity of 19.08 consists of:
- 2 eruption earthquakes, with an amplitude of 30-100 mm, and the duration of the earthquake was 708-2344 seconds.
- 12 blast earthquakes, with an amplitude of 7 to 18 mm and the earthquake lasted 20 to 80 seconds.
- 40 low frequency earthquakes, with an amplitude of 2 to 15 mm and the duration of the earthquake was 6 to 25 seconds.
- 3 distant tectonic earthquakes, with an amplitude of 24-86 mm, S-P 16.6-90 seconds and a long earthquake of 70-944 seconds.
- 4 episodes of continuous tremor with an amplitude of 0.5-30 mm, dominant 10 mm.
1. Communities and visitors / tourists should not conduct activities in villages that have been displaced, as well as the location within a radial radius of 3 km from the summit of G. Sinabung, as well as a sector radius of 5 km for the southeast sector and 4 km for the northeast sector.
2. In the event of ash rain, people are advised to wear masks when leaving the house to reduce the health effects of volcanic ash. Secure drinking water facilities and clean the roofs of houses from dense volcanic ash so that it does not collapse.
3. For people who live near the Sinabung drainages: stay aware of the dangers of lahars.
Sources: PVMBG, Magma Indonesia / Armen Putra
Thanks to Endro Rusharyanto for sharing photos.
The PVMBG reported that gray emissions rose 200m above the summit of Raung and drifted south from August 11-12.
The white plumes reached a height of 100 m and drifted north and south for a few days from August 13-18; weather conditions sometimes precluded visual observations.
The alert level remained at 2 (on a scale of 1 to 4) and the public was warned to stay outside the 2 km exclusion zone.
For August 18, the seismicity is characterized by:
- 57 blast earthquakes, with an amplitude of 1 to 7 mm and the duration of the earthquake was 34 to 81 seconds.
- 58 non-harmonic tremor episode, with an amplitude of 1 to 9 mm and the duration of the earthquake was 37 to 227 seconds.
- 1 local tectonic earthquake, with an amplitude of 8 mm, S-P 2.9 seconds and a long earthquake of 24 seconds.
- 5 distant tectonic earthquakes, with an amplitude of 2-6 mm, S-P 58-59 seconds and the duration of the earthquake 119-265 seconds.
Sources: PVMBG, Magma Indonesia, Global volcanism Program, Mirova.
Raung - hot spot in the crater on 08/18/2020 - image Sentinel-2 L1C bands 12,11,4 - one click to enlarge
This Wednesday August 19 at 02:30 local time (06:30 UTC), the monitoring stations installed near the Nevados de Chillán Volcanic Complex recorded an earthquake linked to the fracturing of rocks (Volcano-Tectonics).
The characteristics of the earthquake after its analysis are as follows:
- original time: 02:30 local time (06:30 UTC)
- depth: 3.7 km
- local magnitude: 3.8 (ML)
No surface activity associated with the reported event is observed. There is no report from neighboring communities on the perception of the earthquake.
Volcanic technical alert remains in Amarilla
At 06:42:00 local time on August 19, 2020, an eruption is recorded in the Rincon de la Vieja volcano, with a column that rises 500 meters above the height of the crater and 2416 meters asl.
Duration of activity: 2 minutes.
Seismic activity is similar compared to yesterday.
At the time of this report, the winds are blowing west.
The Rincon de la Vieja volcano continues with a slight eruptive activity. Seismicity shows a tremor in bands.