As reported yesterday, the Sinabung erupted on August 7, 2020.
Two episodes occurred: the first at 18:58 UTC / 01:58 WIB, with a plume reaching 4.5 km asl, the second at 10:18 UTC / 17:18 JKT, with a plume at 3.3 km.
Ash affected the surrounding countryside and caused damage to plants and crops.
There were no casualties; masks were distributed to the population.
The seismicity of August 8 breaks down into:
- 2 eruption earthquakes, with an amplitude of 100-120 mm, and the duration of the earthquake was 2503-3644 seconds.
- 2 blast earthquakes, with an amplitude of 4 to 6 mm and the earthquake lasted 11 to 16 seconds.
- 2 low frequency earthquakes with an amplitude of 2 to 3 mm and the earthquake lasted 5 to 7 seconds.
- 3 deep volcanic earthquakes with an amplitude of 4-12 mm, S-P 1.1-3 seconds and an earthquake duration of 12-16 seconds.
- 1 local tectonic earthquake with an amplitude of 10 mm, S-P 6.1 seconds and an earthquake duration of 25 seconds.
- 4 distant tectonic earthquakes with an amplitude of 14-35 mm, S-P 23-53 seconds and a long earthquake of 92-137 seconds.
- 3 continuous tremor episodes with an amplitude of 2-25 mm, dominant 2 mm.
The level of activity remains at 3 / siaga, with an area of 3 to 5 km depending on the exposed flanks.
As a local friend put it, "The Sinabung doesn't want to be ignored, there is still an unresolved problem." Indonesians consider the volcano as a living being that communicates, sometimes brutally!
Sources: PVMBG, Magma Indonesia, VAAC Darwin, Local Media and Friends.
On August 9 at 5:38 a.m. JST, an eruption occurred at Sakurajima, Minamidake summit crater, accompanied by a double plume, of a different color, which rose 5,000 meters above the crater, and projections of bombs and pyroclasts , partly obscured by clouds.
The ashes disperse to the north, and Kajiki, and a large quantity of ashes fell on the city of Kagoshima during the first hour; kirishima is also expecting ash falls.
Sakurajima - 08/09/2020 / 5:38 am JST - Volcano time lapse video
The JMA reports a colorful plume at 3,800 meters asl. on Nishinoshima, south-eastbound, this August 9 at 2:20 p.m. local time.
The eruption continues and a strong signal of sulfur dioxide is reported by Tropomi.
Source: JMA, VAAC Tokyo and Tropomi