On December 13 at around 7.20 p.m., an increase in Stombolian activity in the south-eastern crater of Etna was observed, accompanied by an increase in the magnitude of the volcanic tremor and infrasonic activity.
This explosive activity decreases significantly from 10:50 p.m. The effusive activity, produced at the level of two eruptive cracks on the southern flank of the SEC, feeds two lava flows towards the SW and the S.
Furthermore, from the more detailed analysis of the camera images, three pyroclastic fluxes were observed which developed, two in conjunction with the opening of the SW eruptive fissure respectively at 10:15 p.m. and 10:16 p.m. UTC and the third at approximately 10:30 p.m. UTC on December 13. All three currents spread in a SW direction, with the most intense, 22:16 UTC, which passed Mount Frumento Supino well.
The images also showed, in the most intense phases of the explosive activity, the passage to the lava fountain, particularly between 10:00 p.m. and 10:50 p.m. UTC on December 13, 11:50 p.m. UTC on December 13 and 00 10 p.m. UTC on December 14, and approximately 1:10 and 1.23 a.m. UTC on December 14. During the fountain phases, the maximum values of the amplitude of the volcanic tremor were recorded.
Source: INGV OE
Etna - 12/13/2020 / 11:59 p.m. - therm webcam. EMOT / INGV and 14.12. 2020 / 00:28 - webcam LAVE - one click to enlarge
The main crater of Sinabung emits a white plume about 100 to 400 meters above the summit.
Seismicity occurs this November 14 between 6 a.m. and 12 p.m. WIB between:
- 22 collapse / avalanche earthquakes, with an amplitude of 2-80 mm and the duration of the earthquake was 14-124 seconds.
- 5 low frequency earthquakes with an amplitude of 4 to 39 mm and the duration of the earthquake was 11 to 40 seconds.
- 2 hybrid / multiphase earthquakes with an amplitude of 3 to 5 mm, and lasting 8 to 10 seconds.
The activity level remains at 3 / siaga, with a recommendation to communities and visitors / tourists not to carry out activities in the villages that have been displaced, as well as within a radial radius of 3 km from the summit of G. Sinabung , and a sector radius of 5 km for the south-eastern sector and of 4 km for the east-north sector.
Sinabung - morphology of the summit with its cantilevered dome - photo Nachelle homestay 04.12.2020 / 10h08am
In Lewotolok, we observe a white and gray plume, with a height between 100-500 meters above the summit.
Seismic observation of December 13, 2020:
- 49 eruption earthquakes, with an amplitude of 8 to 31 mm, and the duration of the earthquake was 17 to 40 seconds.
- 133 blast / emission earthquakes, with an amplitude of 2 to 29 mm and the earthquake lasted 5.5 to 45 seconds.
- 4 episodes of harmonic tremor with an amplitude of 2 to 6 mm and the earthquake lasted 20 to 80 seconds.
- 26 episode of non-harmonic tremor.
This December 14, between 5:49 a.m. and 2:46 p.m. WITA, 5 moderate eruptive plumes were observed.
The activity level remains at 3 / Siaga, with a recommendation to communities around G. Ili Lewotolok and visitors / climbers / tourists not to be located, nor to climb and not to practice activities in the danger zone in the G. Ili Lewotolok crater area and in all areas within 4 km of the G Ili Lewotolok summit / activity center.