Mount Semeru erupted on the island of Java on Saturday, December 4, 2021 at 2:50 p.m. WIB. No visual eruption was observed. This eruption was recorded on a seismograph with a maximum amplitude of 25 mm and a duration of 5160 seconds.
The ashes completely obscured the sun over a large area.
At 4:20 p.m. WIB, the VAAC Darwin estimated the height of the ash cloud at 15.2 km / 50,000 feet asl. The plume broke away from the volcano and evolved in two packets, one southwest at flight altitude 500 and the other west at flight altitude 300, according to the Himawari-8 satellite images.
FVAU01 ADRM 041500
DTG: 20211204 / 1500Z
VOLCANO: SEMERU 263300
PSN: S0806 E11255
SUMMIT ELEV: 3676M
ADVISORY NR: 2021/167
INFO SOURCE: HIMAWARI-8
AVIATION COLOR CODE: RED
ERUPTION DETAILS: VA TO FL500 MOV SW, VA TO FL300 MOV W
VA TO FL500 AND FL300 DETACHED FROM THE VOLCANO AND
MOVING SW AND W RESPECTIVELY. LOCALIZED VA EMISSION TO FL150
EXPECTED. VA HEIGHT AND MOVEMENT BASED ON HIMAWARI-8 IMAGERY
AND MODEL GUIDANCE. (VAAC Darwin)
Pyroclastic flows (APG) from the Semeru eruption headed towards Besuk Kobokan, Supiturang village, Pronojiwo district, Lumajang regency this Saturday, December 4 afternoon. The Gladak Perak Bridge was cut so that it impacted the deviation of the taxiway from Jember to Malang. In addition, there are several residents' houses in Besuk Kobokan area covered with volcanic material.
At least one person died, while 41 others suffered burns, Reuters reported, citing Indah Masdar, deputy chief of Lumajang district. Budi Santosa, disaster management officer for the province of East Java, said his team was trying to carry out evacuations in the area near the volcano, while preparing accommodation and food for those displaced by the. eruption. This assessment is quite provisional.
Rapid lahars have been reported.
Another eruptive episode is reported on Saturday, December 4, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. WIB. No visual rash was observed. This eruption was recorded on a seismograph with a maximum amplitude of 21 mm and a duration of 480 seconds.
On December 5, two other eruptive episodes occurred:
- at 05:03 WIB, an ash column is observed about 500 m above the summit (ie about 4.175 m. asl.) This episode was recorded on a seismograph with a max. of 10 mm, lasting 201 seconds.
- A second episode occurred at 10:08 am WIB. No visual rash was observed; it was recorded with an amplitude of max. Of 37 mm and lasting 6,600 seconds.
The provisional death toll has grown, with at least 13 dead.
The activity level is at II / waspada, with the recommendations:
1. People / visitors / tourists are not active within a radius of 1 km from the crater / peak of Mount Semeru and at a distance of 5 km from the direction of the opening of the crater in the southeast - south sector, and be aware of the hot clouds avalanches, lava avalanches and lahars along the rivers / valleys which originate at the top of Mount Semeru. The radius and distance of this recommendation will be continuously evaluated to anticipate if there are symptoms of changes in the threat of danger.
2. So that the community stays away or does not move in the areas affected by the hot cloudy material because currently the temperature is still high.
3. It is necessary to pay attention to potential landslides along the valley of the hot cloud path of Besuk Kobokan.
4. Be aware of the threat of lahars in the channel / valley of the river that originates at Mt Semeru (considering the large amount of volcanic material that has formed).
Sources: PVMBG, Magma Indonesia, BNPB, local media
In La Palma, the eruption of Cumbre Vieja continues:
Scientists have detected a reactivation of the southern flow, which passes behind Montaña Cogote, at the end of the morning this Saturday, December 4. It is moving towards the La Majada area, although it has slowed down for the last few hours and is moving slowly.
At 6.30 p.m., a new crack opened to the west of the Las Manchas cemetery
During the night, the activity was intense: pouring on both sides, emission of pyroclasts in the main cone and degassing and explosiveness which cause the characteristic roar.
Seismicity at intermediate depths continued to decrease, being localized in the same areas. The number of earthquakes at depths greater than 20 kilometers remains low and the level of tremor is low, with less variability.
Sulfur dioxide levels in the plume continue to be high, marking the presence of magma available to fuel the eruption. Air quality shows reasonably good or fair levels at most stations. The wind regime forecast for the next few hours will disperse the ash plume in a westerly direction
Sources: IGN, IGME, InVolcan, DSN, RTVC
Flight at 7:30 am on 04.12.2021, thermal + RGB. The thermal camera can identify active areas and the advance of lava in more detail than with the optical camera. IGME video