The surface and internal activity levels of Sangay remain, as of June 15, 2022, high and unchanged.
On the morning of June 15, thanks to satellite images (GOES-16), a thin cloud of ash could be seen which reached 1.4 km above the crater, with a west-southwest direction.
In addition, ash falls are reported in the town of Retén Ichubamba (Chimborazo province).
The Washington VAAC agency published 5 reports of ash emissions whose heights were recorded between 870 and 2,370 meters above the summit, with a direction between west and southwest.
The MOUNTS platform detected 248.9 tonnes of SO2, measured on 06/14/2022 at 2:01 p.m. (Local Time).
The FIRMS system recorded 21 thermal anomalies, while the MIROVA system reported thermal anomalies between VRP 154 and 868 MW. ( See table)
Seismicity is characterized by: 44 LP earthquakes, 9 explosion earthquakes and 15 episodes of emission tremor.
At Anak Krakatau, the PVMBG reports on June 15 and 16 an explosive activity.
The seismicity of June 15 is characterized by:
- 3 eruption earthquakes, with an amplitude of 42-58 mm and an earthquake duration of 30-82 seconds.
- 21 emission earthquakes, with an amplitude of 9 to 41 mm and an earthquake duration of 11 to 35 seconds.
- 50 low frequency earthquakes, with an amplitude of 10 to 40 mm and an earthquake duration of 4 to 18 seconds.
- 1 hybrid / multiphase earthquake, with an amplitude of 8 mm, S-P was not observed and the duration of the earthquake was 9 seconds.
- 3 shallow volcanic earthquakes, with an amplitude of 9-10 mm and an earthquake duration of 5-7 seconds.
- 1 deep volcanic earthquake, with an amplitude of 15 mm, S-P 1.4 seconds and an earthquake duration of 7 seconds.
- And 4 episodes of continuous tremor, with an amplitude of 1-32 mm, dominating 5 mm.
On Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 12:41 p.m. WIB, an eruptive episode is reported, accompanied by an ash plume observed at ± 500 m above the summit (± 657 m above sea level). The ash column was observed to be white, gray to black with thick intensity to the north. This eruption was recorded on a seismograph with a maximum amplitude of 62 mm and a duration of 41 seconds.
The activity level remains at 3 / siaga; People/visitors/tourists/climbers do not approach Mount Anak Krakatau or engage in activities within 5 km of the active crater.
Sources: PVMBG, Magma Indonesia
In Bulusan, the Phivolcs informs, for this June 15, 3 volcanic earthquakes, and a flow of sulfur dioxide of 1,255 tons / day
The alert level remains at 1, with mention of a 150 m steam and gas plume. from above.
Inflation always marks the volcano.