Sangay - Expulsion of incandescent material. on 14.09.2022 / 6:52 p.m. local time - ECU 911 / IGEPN webcam - one click to enlarge
The surface and internal activity levels of the Sangay remain high and unchanged from September 14 to 15 at 11:00 a.m.
Seismicity is characterized by 771 explosive earthquakes, and 156 long-period earthquakes.
The Washington VAAC reported 4 gas and ash emission alerts with a maximum height of 1770 meters drifting northwest/
The MIROVA system records 1 high thermal alert (100 MW) and the FIRMS system records 8 thermal alerts in the last 24 hours.
During the afternoon and the night of yesterday, the volcano cleared and the expulsion of incandescent material was observed. In the morning, the volcano remained mainly cloudy.
The MOUNTS system reported 599.9 tons of SO2, measured on 2022-09-14 at 18:33 UTC.
Alert level - SNGRE: Yellow
Sources: IGEPN & Mirova
Island growth continues at Home Reef, Tonga Islands. It now measures 170 meters in diameter, for an area of 20,662 m² / 5,06 acres.
The zone of discoloration of the waters increases towards the northwest and the fumarolic activity generates more steam.
Sources: Tonga Geological Services – Planet sat and Sentinel-2 images
Home Reef - Sentinel-2 L1C false colors image from 09.14.2022 / 22:00 UTC - the image on the right gives an estimate of its diameter at 70 m. - one click to enlarge
Home reef - Sentinel-2 L2A Highlight optimized natutal colors image from 15.09.2022 / 12:59 pm - via Tonga Geological Services - one click to enlarge
Mount Ili Lewotolok experienced two eruptive episodes on Friday September 16, 2022.
- the first at 05:37 WITA. No visual rash was observed. This eruption was recorded on a seismograph with a maximum amplitude of 32 mm and a duration of 40 seconds.
- the second at 11:51 a.m. WITA with an ash plume observed at ± 1500 m above the peak (± 2923 m above sea level). The ash column is observed to be gray with a thick intensity towards the southwest. This eruption was recorded on a seismograph with a maximum amplitude of 33 mm and a duration of 43 seconds.
Activity level remains at 3/siaga
Sources: Magma Indonesia and VAAC Darwin
Ili Lewotolok - the plume exceeds the height of low clouds, on 09.16.2022 / 11:52 AM WIta - PVMBG Magma Indonesia webcam - one click to enlarge
The Dukono volcano was clearly visible on September 15 until it was covered by fog 0-III. The main crater plume is white, gray and black with fine, medium to thick intensity, about 100-500 meters from the summit.
Seismicity is characterized by:
- 4 eruption earthquakes, with an amplitude of 8-34 mm and an earthquake duration of 22.38 - 45.56 seconds.
- 1 episode of non-harmonic tremor, with an amplitude of 8 mm and an earthquake duration of 2482.64 seconds.
- 2 distant tectonic earthquakes
The activity level is 2/waspada, with the recommendation for communities around Mount Dukono and visitors/tourists to refrain from activities, climbing and approaching Malupang Warirang crater within 2 km. .
Sources: PVMBG, Magma Indonesia