Nevados de Chillan V.C. - 16.10.2022 / 4:39 p.m. local - webcam Andarivel - Sernageomin OVDAS - one click to enlarge
In Chile, the Sernageomin recorded at the Nevados de Chillan volcanic complex on October 16 at 4:13 p.m. local time an LP earthquake associated with internal fluid dynamics.
An explosion, with a high pyroclast load, was accompanied by a plume higher than 400 meters (but undetermined) dispersing towards the SE. A pyroclastic flow developed on the NNE slope, over 500 meters from the active crater.
The technical alert remains in Amarilla.
In the Moluccas, the Gunung Ibu activity continues.
The volcano is clearly visible until it is covered by fog 0-III. The plume of gas and ash from the main crater is white and gray with fine, medium to thick intensity, about 200-800 meters from the summit.
The seismicity of October 16 is characterized by:
- 77 eruption earthquakes, with an amplitude of 15 to 30 mm and an earthquake duration of 20 to 70 seconds.
- 5 avalanche earthquakes, with an amplitude of 2 mm and an earthquake duration of 15 to 25 seconds.
- 56 bursts of earthquakes with an amplitude of 5 to 14 mm and an earthquake duration of 10 to 40 seconds.
- 4 times the harmonics, with an amplitude of 2 to 9 mm and an earthquake duration of 45 to 170 seconds.
- 23 shallow volcanic earthquakes, with an amplitude of 3 to 8 mm and an earthquake duration of 4 to 7 seconds.
- 1 deep volcanic earthquake with an amplitude of 20 mm, S-P 2 seconds and an earthquake duration of 8 seconds.
- 5 distant tectonic earthquakes, with an amplitude of 2 to 30 mm, S-P was not observed and the duration of the earthquake was 40 to 130 seconds
Activity is at level 2 / alert.
Communities around Mount Ibu and visitors/tourists should not travel within 2.0 km and the sectoral expansion is 3.5 km towards the crater opening in the northern part of the active crater of Mount Ibu.
In the event of ash rain, people who are active outside the home are advised to use nose, mouth (mask) and eye (goggles) protection.
Source: Magma Indonesia
Myrdalsjökull - cauldrons and basin boundary - Recent earthquakes shown in red at Mýrdalsjökull (the glacier that covers the Katla volcano). Blue lines: water/drainage separations; X with numbers, cauldron locations. - doc. K.Jonsdottir 16.10.2022 - one click to enlarge
On October 16 at 07:54 there was an earthquake of magnitude 3.0 at Mýrdalsjökull (Katla volcano) and others at 12:10 of magnitude 3.0 and 2.8. Since the day before, increased seismic activity has been noticed under the glacier, including an earthquake of M 3.8 at 11:50 p.m.
The earthquakes are all located near sinkholes/cauldrons 10 and 11 in the eastern part of Kötluäskja.
Current yellow weather alerts, (a small) jökulhlaup in progress from Grímsvötn and now earthquakes (M3.8, M3.0, M2.8) in Katla, with possible flooding in Múlakvísl ! Please note that one should NOT visit the Kötlujökull / Höfðabrekkujökull glacier caves, and travel near the river and especially at its source, due to gaseous pollution.
Sources: IMO via Kristín Jónsdóttir